These are my links for November 14th 2011 through November 15th 2011:
- The Straight Dope: When did mankind figure out that SEX = BABIES? – The New Stone Age. Maybe
- The Taman Shud Mystery « Now I Know Archives – "In the summer of 1949, inspectors found a concealed pocket inside the man’s trousers. In the pocket was a piece of paper, which read “Tamam Shud,” which means “ending” in Persian."
- Garbage City « Now I Know Archives – "The Zabbaleen collect the trash in a village named Manshiyat Naser, a slum, with stores and dwellings, avenues and roads, but without a sewer system, running water, or electricity. And as seen in the photos here, the streets of the village are, figuratively, paved in trash."
- Now I Know: Ultramarathon Monks – "The Kaihōgyō has been practiced since 1585. In its over 400 year history, only 46 men have completed it."
- AccuRadio online radio | Listen to free Internet radio –
- Data Proves New York City Cabs Do Disappear at 4 P.M. – NYTimes.com – "In the 1980s, as commercial rents rose, taxi fleets began migrating across the East River, particularly to Long Island City, Queens. The 5 p.m. shift change now included a journey over the often-packed Queensboro Bridge, not to mention the return slog to the city."
- Joe Moran’s blog: Quiet pleas – "Collective silence is now the default option to commemorate events of very different import, from the Indonesian Tsunami to the death of ex-footballers. No one is sure what these silences are for. So we have arguments about “silence inflation” – whether to raise the bar to three minutes for large-scale disasters – or wonder if it is more appropriate to clap than stand there silently."
- Americans prefer Sweden – A survey suggests Americans of all political backgrounds misjudge the distribution of wealth in their society
- Ow.ly – image uploaded by @sumit (sumit paul-choudhury) – My guess: Roman nutcracker. The experts: a castration clamp used by the cult of Cybele. Sort of right, then